Conditions of carriage - megatrain.com
These General Terms & Conditions apply for journeys wholly on megatrain services provided by East Midlands Railway.
1. You must be aged 16 years, or older, to purchase tickets and services from this website.
2. Fares apply to all passengers aged 5 years or older. No discount is given for children or Railcard holders.
3. When booking your journey, you must check your journey itinerary before making payment. Once paid for, megatrain tickets are not refundable except under Condition 11g.
4. You can amend your megatrain booking up to 24 hours before the departure of the first megatrain service in your booking. You will need to pay the difference between the price paid and the next available price for your journey. If the new journey is at cheaper, there will be no refund of the difference. An amendment fee and a booking fee will be applied for each amended reservation. Details of our current fees which will apply at the time of booking are in the FAQs section of our website. The amendment and booking fees may be different for changes made with an authorised megatrain.com agent or call centre rather than on our website. If you purchase more than one ticket for the same journey you will only be able to amend the group of tickets and you will not be able to amend the tickets individually.
5. Whilst travelling with megatrain, you must present your megatrain reference numbers either in a printed format or displayed on a mobile electronic device when requested by megatrain staff. Additionally,
i. Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.
ii. Reservation numbers presented in a handwritten format will not be accepted.
iii. Passengers without an acceptable means of showing their booking reference when requested will be in breach of megatrain conditions, and will be required to purchase a full priced single ticket for their journey.
6. You should arrive at your departure station at least 15 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train. This will allow you plenty of time to board and prevents any delay to the train service.
7. Journeys are only available for travel in Standard Class. A Weekend First Upgrade is available on East Midlands Railway at weekends and public holidays, subject to availability.
8. megatrain booking references cannot be used in conjunction with any National Rail, East Midlands Railway promotion or offer unless stated otherwise. (This includes, but is not limited to, PlusBus and discounted admission tickets to attractions.)
9. Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.
10. Services provided by East Midlands Railway can be booked the day before travel.
11. Bookings for megatrain services are in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Some of these conditions are clarified or specifically amended below.
a. You must travel wholly between the origin and destination, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket for the entire journey made. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased. In addition, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare.
b. A valid booking reference acts as the ticket for your journey. You must present this when requested by a member of staff whilst travelling on the train or to enter/leave a station.
c. TOTUM / NUS Extra card holders, Stagecoach Employee and Privilege passholders must show their card and booking reference when asked by a member of staff. If you are unable to show your card when requested, you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.
d. If you are unable to present a valid reference for your journey when requested, either on the train or exiting the station, you will be treated as having no ticket for your journey. You will have to pay the undiscounted Anytime Single rail fare for the journey being made. In addition, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare if your journey involves travel on East Midlands Railway. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.
e. If you are unable to present a valid reference for you journey when entering the station, you will need to buy a ticket from the self-service ticket machine or ticket office. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional rail ticket purchased.
f. You must ensure that you have a valid rail ticket for any parts of your journey not covered by your megatrain reference. If you are unable to do this, you will be charged the undiscounted Anytime Single rail fare for the journey being made. In addition, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare if your journey involves travel on East Midlands Railway.
g. If the rail part of the megatrain service you are booked on is cancelled, or delayed by 60 minutes or more, please seek advice from station staff as you may travel on the next available rail service towards your destination. If you then decide not to travel, you may have a full refund of the megatrain fare and booking fee.
h. No compensation will be offered if your journey is cancelled or delayed.
i. Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.
j. Cycles are only permitted on an East Midlands Railway Service with a valid cycle reservation, cycle reservations are subject to availability and refunds will not be given due to lack of availability. To make a cycle reservation please call +44 (0) 3457 125 678. Folding cycles can be carried on any megatrain service as hand luggage if they remain folded for the duration of journey.
k. A maximum of two children (aged under 5 years) can travel for free with each fare paying adult. They are not entitled to a seat unless a journey has been purchased for them. Children travelling for free cannot occupy a seat if it is needed by a fare paying passenger.
l. You may take up to three items of luggage (up to 50kg each) with each fare paying passenger, without charge. More details are available in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Please ensure luggage is safely stored in luggage racks (where provided), in overhead racks or under your seat. A charge may be made for excess or over sized luggage; large items that obstruct doors and gangways cannot be carried.
12. Insurance is purchased by the carrier in accordance with our legal responsibility. All legal liabilities to third parties, to include damage to property and personal injury are covered. Our maximum liability to you for any loss or damage to your luggage, on megabus.com services under any and all circumstances is limited to £500 for all such loss or damage.
megabus.com will not be liable for any monetary loss or the loss of legal documents. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, premium bonds, money orders, certificates, passports or driving licences. Items of significant value such as jewellery and portable electronic devices should be kept on your persons at all times. megabus cannot be held liable for these items left unattended.
It is advised that you insure your luggage, especially if you are carrying valuable items, with reputable insurers against all usual and normal risks of loss or damage, to the full replacement value of the luggage, with no excess.
Loss of luggage or personal property must be notified immediately to a megabus.com employee. The passenger should also contact the company owning the vehicle on which they travelled.
13. No Smoking policy. Passengers are not permitted to smoke, this includes electronic cigarettes in any vehicle operated by the Company and designated no smoking areas in any train stations. The Company is entitled to require offending passengers to remove themselves from the train or train station if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.
14. If we have reason to suspect fraudulent use of booking references, transfer to another person, or other abuse, we reserve the right to refuse you travel on our service(s). No refund will be given in relation to fraudulent use of booking references.
Last update: 17 September 2019