Megabus Terms & Conditions
These General Terms & Conditions apply for journeys wholly on megabus services.
1. You must be aged 16 years, or older, to purchase tickets and services from this website. No discount is given for children.
2. When booking your journey, you must check your journey itinerary before making payment. No refunds will be given for incorrect or duplicated journeys. Once completed, megabus.com reservations cannot be cancelled or refunded. However, while we will make every effort to operate megabus.com services as scheduled, where this fails to occur full refunds or alternative travel arrangements will be offered.
3. You can amend your megabus booking up to 24 hours before the departure of the first megabus service in your booking. You will need to pay the difference between the price paid and the next available price for your journey. If the new journey is cheaper, there will be no refund of the difference. A £1 fee (50p amendment and 50p booking fee) will apply for each booking changed. If you purchase more than one ticket for the same journey you will only be able to amend the group of tickets and you will not be able to amend the tickets individually.
4. You should arrive at your departure point 15 minutes before the scheduled departure of the bus. This will allow you plenty of time to board and prevents any delays to the service. Please note that the departure gates at London Victoria Coach Station will close one minute before departure.
5. A maximum of one child, aged 3 years or under, can travel for free on megabus with each fare paying adult. They are not guaranteed a seat unless a journey has been purchased for them. Children travelling for free cannot occupy a seat if it is needed by a fare paying passenger.
6. Children aged 14 years, or under, must travel with an adult (aged 16 years or older).
7. If the vehicle you are travelling on is fitted with seatbelts, you are legally required to wear it.
8. A valid booking reference number acts as the ticket for your journey and you must present this to the driver before boarding the coach. This may be presented verbally, in written, printed or SMS format. For journeys to and from France, Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands, you must print your confirmation e-mail, as this is your ticket in terms of EU passenger rules, and must be carried during your journey.
9. If you have purchased concessionary travel within Scotland, you must show your Scottish Entitlement card and booking reference when boarding the coach. (Please note that English, Welsh or Northern Irish Concessionary Travel Cards are not valid on any megabus services.)
10. NUS Extra card holders must show their card and booking reference when boarding the bus. If you are unable to show your card, you may have to pay a £10 Penalty Fare.
11. In the interests of the safety and comfort of all of our customers, we restrict the size, type and quantity of luggage or other belongings which you can bring onto our buses and reserve the right to refuse permission for you to bring any item onto our service. megabus.com does not check luggage or provide receipts for luggage transported on the bus by the passenger. We don’t mind what your luggage is packed in, we only ask that it’s no bigger than a standard ‘large’ suitcase and weighs no more than 20kg.
Alternatively, you can take two medium cases with a combined weight of 20kg or three small bags with a combined weight of 20kg. The maximum size of a single bag is 200cm (width + height + depth). You can also take a piece of small hand luggage on board with you, and it must either fit on your lap or under the seat in front of you. Please be advised that passengers wishing to travel with more luggage you may have items refused. Passengers travelling between Glasgow and London may be charged £5 per piece for excess baggage. Passengers travelling on megatrain.com services are able to bring up to two pieces per passenger. (Frozen food and fresh meat, poultry or fish, accumulators, explosives, ammunition, weapons and combustible or otherwise hazardous materials including petrol are not permitted on any megabus service.) Only the driver may store or remove luggage from the lockers or trailer.
11b. We cannot be held responsible for any loss or inconvenience to you if you are refused travel under these circumstances. We reserve the right to request that you open any article of luggage for inspection by the driver or other company officer in your presence if, for reasons of security, it is considered necessary to do so.
11c. When travelling on our coach, you may be required to place certain items of luggage in the luggage locker which is situated beneath the passenger saloon of the vehicle and is accessed by external locker doors. Please note that high cost items or those which are of particular personal value should be kept on your person at all times.
11d. Items that should never be placed in the luggage hold will include currency, valuable securities such as cheques, premium bonds or money orders, passports, driving licenses, certificates, jewellery, portable electronic devices such as cameras, mobile telephones, laptops and tablets.
11e. Please note that megabus.com cannot be held liable for the loss of these items if left unattended.
11f. megabus.com advises passengers to insure their personal belongings by way of household or travel insurance, especially if carrying valuable items, with a reputable insurer against all risks of loss or damage to the full replacement value.
12. No Smoking policy. Passengers are not permitted to smoke, this includes electronic cigarettes in any vehicle operated by the Company and designated no smoking areas in any coach station. The Company is entitled to require offending passengers to remove themselves from the coach or coach station if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.
13. Dogs and other animals are not permitted on any megabus service, with the exception of assistance dogs (e.g. guide dogs).
14. Insurance is purchased by the carrier in accordance with our legal responsibility. All legal liabilities to third parties, to include damage to property and personal injury are covered. Our maximum liability to you for any loss or damage to your luggage, on megabus.com services under any and all circumstances is limited to £500 for all such loss or damage.
megabus.com will not be liable for any monetary loss or the loss of legal documents. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, premium bonds, money orders, certificates, passports or driving licences. Items of significant value such as jewellery and portable electronic devices should be kept on your persons at all times. megabus.com can not be held liable for these items left unattended.
It is advised that you insure your luggage, especially if you are carrying valuable items, with reputable insurers against all usual and normal risks of loss or damage, to the full replacement value of the luggage, with no excess.
Loss of luggage or personal property must be notified immediately to a megabus.com employee. The passenger should also contact the company owning the vehicle on which they travelled.
15. If we have reason to suspect fraudulent use of booking references, transfer to another person, or other abuse, we reserve the right to refuse you travel on our service(s). No refund will be given in relation to fraudulent use of booking references.
16. Stagecoach Group and affiliated company passes are not valid for travel on megabus services.
Last Updated: 29 March 2017