Having read this information, if you want to change the way in which we use your data or if you have a question about how your personal information is used please contact the Data Controller: Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited using the methods below:
Send an email to [email protected]
Phone 0141 352 4444
Write to us at Scottish Citylink Coaches, Buchanan Bus Station, Killermont Street, Glasgow, G2 3NW
Our ICO Registration Number for Scottish Citylink is Z6391021. You can find out more information on the ICO website
The information we collect from you and how we collect it
Generally, you are the source of this information because you voluntarily provide it when you are making a reservation through megabus. We also collect information about your browser and the devices you are using to interact with us. We collect personal information about you in several ways:
- When you register with us or fill in a form on our website or mobile app, either directly or via a social media account
- When you contact us via phone, email, social media or another route
- When you subscribe to our services
- When you purchase tickets
- When you opt-in to receive special offers and promotions, travel tips and the latest news by email, post and other electronic means
- When you enter a competition, prize draw or promotion
- When you complete a survey distributed by us or on our behalf
- When you browse our website, use the App or use our on vehicle WiFi
- When you open or click on any marketing emails we send you
We also collect your personal information from other organisations and sources, for example when you contact us through a social media company such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Instagram. Before providing information to us via these channels you should check these companies’ privacy policies and settings to understand how they use your personal information.
If you make a reservation on megabus
In order to process your megabus reservation we may ask you to provide information such as:
- Your Name
- Your Email address
- Your Payment information
If you participate in the manage reservations service
If you take advantage of our Manage Reservations service, we may ask you to provide additional information when you register. This information may include:
- Your date of birth
- Your gender
- The route you most commonly travel
- The purpose of your trip
- Details about the payment card holder
If you request disability assistance
If you advise us that you will require special assistance during your trip because of a disability, in order to comply with the Equality Act 2010, we may ask you for information, including:
- Your name
- Your full address
- Your telephone number
- Your special requirements
Other means of data collection
If you contact us via email, phone, Social Media or another route we may ask you for information, including:
- Your date of birth
- Your gender
- The route you most commonly travel
- The purpose of your trip
- Details about the payment card holder
We will collect information if you opt-in to receive Marketing and our newsletter by email or SMS or if you enter a competition or promotion. Also, if you use our ‘contact us’ form on the website, browse the website or use our coach wifi we may also collect your personal information as described above.
If you complete a survey either distributed by us or on our behalf we may ask you for information, including (but not limited to):
- Your gender
- Employment status
- Email Address
If you are booking an international journey
If you are booking an international journey, we, or our sales agents, may need to take information related to your identification documents and may be required to provide this to border controls in order to permit you to travel.
We employ CCTV on our buses in order to:
- Prevent, deter and detect crime
- Apprehend and prosecute offenders, and provide evidence to take action in the courts
- Help provide a safer environment for our staff
- Protect public safety
- Monitor operational and safety-related incidents
- Assist with the verification of claims.
You have the right to make a Subject Access Request for CCTV images of yourself and to ask for a copy of them. Please direct any such request to [email protected] who will direct you to the Operator responsible for the service. To protect the rights of other individuals whose images may also be captured by the same images, we reserve the right to redact images.
We reserve the right to withhold information where permissible by the applicable data protection legislation, and we will only retain CCTV images for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law. In certain circumstances, we may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons. When this is done, there is a requirement for an organisation that has received the images to adhere to the relevant data protection legislation.
Information we automatically collect when you access our services
When you access our Services we may automatically collect:
- The type of Web browser and operating system you have used to access our Services;
- The type of device you have used to access our Services, including unique device identifiers;
- Your IP address (which is a number automatically assigned to your computer when you access the Internet and can be used to derive your general geographic location);
- The websites you visited before and after you visit our Services;
- Information about the content you view and the actions you take on the Services;
- Information about your current location (if you consent to providing us this information); and
- Information we collect using cookies, as described below.
While we mainly use the personal information that you provide to us yourself, we may sometimes use other public sources of information about our customers and enquirers where you have given your permission for your data to be shared. We do this to help us understand more about our customers and to ensure that our public messages are relevant and to make sure that the marketing information we send you, with your consent, is also relevant.
We take great care in sourcing this information but if you prefer us not to use your data in this way then please let us know by contacting [email protected]
Do not track requests
Although some browsers allow you to send a signal indicating that you do not wish to be "tracked", our Services do not recognise or respond to "Do Not Track" signals.
Our legal basis for using your personal information
Under UK data protection law, we must have a valid reason for using your personal information. We are unable to collect, store or use information provided by from you unless we use this information as you expect. There are four reasons for our use of your personal information:
- Most of the information we collect from you is necessary to allow us to fulfil our contract with you or to enter into a contract with you e.g. you provide a billing address when you purchase tickets via our website; we may need to contact you to notify you about changes to our services.
- When you register and open an online account with us you will be invited to give your consent to use your personal information as described in ‘How we use the information we collect and receive’ below. By opting in you are giving your permission for us to process your data using ‘consent’ at our legal basis. If you have given consent to our use of your personal information, you are entitled to withdraw this consent at any time.
- We may also have a legitimate interest in using your personal information e.g. to ensure that the content on our website is presented to you and your computer as effectively as possible. If this is our reason for using your personal information, we must make sure that our interests do not override yours and you can object to this use of your personal information.
- To create statistical information, market research, analysis and customer group profiles which is necessary for our legitimate interests in ensuring we can provide you with good quality services that meet your needs.
How we use the information we collect and receive
The information we collect and receive is used to provide the service you have requested; to confirm your reservation or to reply to questions you may ask. It is also used to provide you updated information concerning changes to the megabus service you have reserved.
If you have elected to join our Manage Reservations service, then your information is used to allow our megabus frequent travellers to save time during the reservation process by allowing us to pre-complete certain fields. The collected information will also allow you to review reservations that you have made with us. Your information will also be available to our customer service agents to allow them to assist you with any questions you may have.
We will also use this information for profiling purposes to enable us to deliver a more effective and targeted service to you, the passenger. We will use information about your computer equipment and the pages on our Services that you visited for statistical evaluation. We may also use your travel data to evaluate and improve our existing products and services, or develop new ones.
You may also be contacted to participate in more detailed research.
How we use your information for Marketing
We only use your personal information for marketing where you have given us permission to do so or you have provided permission to other organisations to allow us to market to you.
By using the information you provide us we are able to contact you with specific marketing messages about special offers, travel tips and latest news and, depending on the permission you have given us or another organisation this may be by email, telephone, SMS, push notification or social media.
If you have given us your consent to use your personal information for marketing, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting our Data Controller via email [email protected], clicking the “unsubscribe” link in our marketing emails or replying STOP to a text message. You can also log into your account on our website or app at anytime to update your marketing opt-in setting.
Sharing of your information
megabus does not sell your information or provide it to any third parties except in compliance with this Policy.
All payment transactions on our website are handled by Worldpay, a secure payment processing provider. Your credit card and related personal details are collected by Worldpay in order to process your payment. More details regarding Worldpay’s terms and conditions, and privacy and security policies can be found by visiting www.worldpay.com
If you accessed our Services from a third party website, we may provide your information to that third party for purposes of enabling the third party to collect a commission from megabus related to your purchase of a reservation on our service.
We may provide your information to companies that provide services directly to us, including our website designers, technical consultants and digital marketing agencies. This information will be used by such organisations only to perform their functions and/or to provide the service you have requested and for no other purpose.
If you are an existing customer, megabus and other companies in the Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited group of companies may use your email address to provide you with information about promotions and services we think may be of interest to you; however, you can choose not to receive such notices. If you are simply a visitor to this website and not an existing customer of megabus, we may nonetheless wish to give you the opportunity to receive such information and may ask for your consent to do so.
In the event of the sale or transfer of our company or its assets, information we have collected from you or about you may be disclosed to the buyer as part of the sale or transfer process and will be transferred to the buyer as one of the transferred assets.
Your information will be used by us and disclosed to our group companies, which includes our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (or any of them).
It is not our policy to provide any further entities or organisation(s) with your information provided to us via our website or app, unless we share in response to legal process or when necessary to protect our Services.
We may use suppliers who operate outside of the country of which you are a resident, for example in the United States. These countries may not offer the same legal protection of your personal information as the UK. If we use one of these organisations, we take appropriate steps to ensure that they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing of your personal information at our approved locations outside the EEA. If you would like to know more about the ways in which we safeguard your personal information, please get in touch using the contact details in this policy.
Under some circumstances we may be required to disclose or share your information without your consent, for example, if we are required by the police, the courts or for other legal reasons.
You have the following rights:
- To know that your data is being processed.
- To access your personal data by making a Subject Access Request (SAR)
- To have your information corrected if inaccurate
- To data portability if applicable
- To request that your data be erased, restrict processing, object to processing and;
- To rights relating to automated decision making and profiling.
Accuracy of personal information provided
If the payment card holder for reservations is not you, it will be your responsibility to ensure that you have the card holder’s consent before entering any related details, and that such details when entered are true. Other than the foregoing, by using our Services, you confirm that you will only enter personal information about yourself and that such information is true.
Protection of information
We use administrative, electronic and physical security measures to ensure the information we collect about you is protected from access by unauthorised persons and protected against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
By using our website and/or services, you acknowledge and agree that, except to the extent required by the Data Protection laws, we shall not be responsible for any unauthorised use, distribution, damage or destruction of personal data. We will only retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law.
We have a legal obligation to keep the personal information we collect accurate and up to date. You have the right to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in the personal information we hold about you and to restrict the use of your information until it has been corrected.
The simplest way to keep your data accurate is to login into your megabus account
We keep your information accurate as follows:
- By giving you the opportunity at any time to contact us to correct or change your information
- If you contact us we may ask you to confirm certain details.
We have specific rectification, restriction objection and erasure policies in place to make sure we respond effectively to your request to correct data and to respond to a erasure requests
Of the data we process outside of any contract we retain the data for no longer than 2 years. When you contract with us your data is retained as required by law but for no longer than 6 years after the conclusion of the service provided. Where reasonably practicable data is minimised so not to be identifiable to the data subject unless required by law or is subject to a Subject Access Request.
We keep your personal information where we have:
- A legal or regulatory requirement requires that we hold data for a specific time
- The business has a legal basis to retain data including data opt-ins, revised opt-ins and renewed consents
If you would like more information about the length of time we retain your data please contact [email protected].
Complaints about the use of your Personal Information
If you have a complaint about the information we hold or how we use that information, please contact our Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted by emailing [email protected] or in writing to The Data Protection Officer, Scottish Citylink Coaches, Buchanan Bus Station, Killermont Street, Glasgow, G2 3NW. The Data Protection Officer will deal with your request promptly. If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you can refer your complaint to UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
Modification of this policy
We keep our privacy notice under regular review.